Shakarkandi also known as sweet potato is widely used in variety of dishes. It is a seasonal vegetable which is usually available in the cold months of the year. You can also find them in summers at a cold store. Shakarkandi as the name suggests has a sweet taste to it. It can be used in variety of dishes or can be had as it is in a chat.
You can boil or bake shakargandi. It is as soft as a boiled potato but its taste it is quite different from it. Shakarkandi ki chaat. Dry fruits ke saath is very popular during Navratri season. Of course you don’t have to wait for an occasion to make this delicious chaat and can enjoy it anytime. It is also favorite among children; the sweet and sour taste of the chat along leaves them wanting for more.
Here is the recipe of Shakarkandi Ki Chaat dry fruits ke saath:
- Shakarkandi- half a kilo
- Almonds – ½ cup finely sliced
- Cashews- ½ cup finely sliced
- Raisins- a fist full
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Chaat masala
- Salt to taste
- A tablespoon of sugar
- Coriander finely chopped.
- Optional- You can use apple and banana in the chaat as well.
- Boil or bake Shakarkandi and let it cool. Once it is cooled, peel of the skin and cut it into bite sized pieces.
- Now mix almonds, cashews, and raisins along with shakarkandi in a large bowl.
- Now squeeze the juice of two lemons in a bowl.
- To that bowl add one table spoon of sugar, salt to taste and chaat masala.
- Stir until the sugar and other spices until they are completely mixed. If the liquid mixture is less in quantity then you can add 1-2 tablespoons of water in the lemon mixture.
- Pour it over the chaat material and mix nicely until all of the pieces are evenly coated with lemon and sugar mixture.
Serve in glass bowls and decorate with finely chopped coriander.
This chaat makes a healthy snack that can be had anytime of the day. Unlike regular potatoes, sweet potatoes are a complex source of carbohydrates. They release the energy slowly into the body and keep you refreshed for a longer time period. Furthermore, adding dry fruits will include antioxidant to the dish. Healthy fats in the dry fruits keep you full as well as add crunch and texture to the chaat. The chaat is enjoyed by people of all ages.