Pongal is one of the most important festivals celebrated by people living in Tamil Nadu and other states of India. The harvest festival holds a lot of significance for farmers in the country, and so it is celebrated in a grand manner. People clean up their houses, decorate them with traditional decorative items, cook food and invite their friends and family members at home to have a lavish feast. Mostly, during this harvest festival, people cook rice with moong dal, milk, jaggery as well as cardamom to give them a unique flavor and taste. The food is then served with dessert or any sweet, as per the preference of guests.
During pongal, people also prepare sakkarai pongal, which is one of the famous dishes. It can be easily cooked at home and doesn’t even take a long time. If you want to surprise your friends, cook it.
Following is the ingredients that you require to make Sakkarai Pongal–
- ½ cup rice
- ¼ cup moong dal
- 1 tablespoon chana dal
- 1 cup powdered jaggery
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cashew pieces
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins
- 10 tablespoons edible oil
- Cardamom powder
Method to prepare is as follows-
- Prepare rice with Moong dal and Chana dal.
- Add milk to the cooked rice. Mix well.
- Heat jaggery in a pan along with water until it fully dissolves.
- Add this to cooked rice. Stir it continuously until the mixture comes to a porridge consistency.
- Now add cardamom powder and edible oil to it
- On the other side, heat two tablespoons of oil into a pan, add cashew pieces and raisins to it. When they become golden, add them to cooked rice.
- Mix it and serve it warm.
Now, Sakkarai Pongal is ready to be served!
If you are a little calorie conscious, you can cut down the amount of oil and cashew nuts added after the dish. Now this Pongal festival, cook the delicious dish at your home and invite your friends and relatives to enjoy the festival.