Barfi or Pak is a sweet confectionary made primarily in the Indian subcontinent. There are several varieties of barfi which include Besan barfi (made using gram flour), Pista barfi (made using ground pistachios), kaaju barfi (made using cashews) and Nariyal barfi or nariyal pak (made using Coconut). The most popular barfi among the ones mentioned above is the nariyal pak with nuts (pistachios and cashew) along with flavours like rose water and cardamom. They are usually coated with a layer of edible metallic leaf called vark. This barfi is popularly served during various South Asian festivals like Diwali, Holi, raksha bandhan and Eid. They are also given as gifts to near and dear ones during various wedding ceremonies. It is an easy to prepare Indian sweet, which can even be made at home.
- 2 cups of freshly grated coconut
- 1 ½ cup of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. of milk
- 1 tsp. of lemon juice
- 2 tsp. of ghee
- ¼ tsp. saffron strands
- A pinch of powdered turmeric
- ¼ tsp. of cardamom powder
- Sliced pistachios for garnishing
- 1 ¼ cup of water
- Cashew nuts
- Warm some milk and to it add saffron, turmeric and keep it aside.
- Slice some blanched pistachios and keep them for garnishing.
- Prepare some sugar syrup and to it add lemon juice once the mixture starts boiling.
- After the lemon, juice has been added strain the sugar syrup if required.
- Make sure that the sugar syrup has a two thread consistency.
- To it add the grated coconut, cashew nuts, ghee (the amount of ghee to be used can be reduced if you want less ghee in the barfi) and saffron paste made earlier.
- Stir the mixture continuously and remove it from heat.
- Take a flat metal plate, grease it and spread the prepared mixture on it. Try to spread it evenly using a spatula.
- Garnish it using some sliced pistachios and cardamom powder.
- Allow it to set for about eight hours in a refrigerator and let it cool.
- Cut them into the desired shape and serve.
Buy dry fruits with QB Discounts at your doorstep with free delivery.