Gajar ka halwa or Gajrela is among the most popular traditional Indian desserts. It is a dessert mainly associated with Punjab region in both India and Pakistan. It is prepared by putting some freshly grated carrots in a cooking utensil along with a certain amount of milk, sugar and water while being stirred regularly. Constant stirring is essential because the Gajrela might get burnt otherwise. The Gajar Ka Halwa is often served along with a garnish of cashew nuts and almonds. Before these nuts can be added to the dessert, they are sautéed in clarified butter or Ghee, which helps in enhancing their flavours.
The dish is mostly prepared in the Indian households during winters or during the festival time. Traditionally, it is prepared during festivals like Holi, Diwali, Lohri, Eid al-fitr and during Indian marriage functions. This dish was introduced by traders in South Asian and Middle Eastern regions during the Mughal rule. Earlier, it was made using vegetables like pumpkin, carrots, potatoes and zucchini but Gajrela is the most popular one.
Nowadays, it is a very popular dessert worldwide having many different variations like Red velvet Halwa, Cheesy carrot halwa and Carrot and beetroot halwa. Given below is the traditional recipe for the original Gajrela.
- Carrots, 1Kg
- Milk, 1.5Litre
- Cardamom seeds, 2 tsp.
- Water, 1cup
- Ghee, 5 tbsp.
- Raisins, cashew nuts and almonds, 3 tbsp. each
- Sugar, 500 gm.
- Wash the carrots and grate them.
- Take the raisins and soak them in water for some time.
- Finely slice the almonds and cashew nuts.
- Boil water in a container and to it add grated carrots, let it cook for about 8-10 minutes.
- Now add milk and cook on low flame for about 45 minutes, occasionally stirring it.
- Add the sugar and continue stirring until the milk is absorbed.
- Add ghee and let it cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add some crushed cardamom and soaked raisins. Mix them well.
- Remove Gajar Halwa from the flame.
- Garnish it with nuts.
- Serve it hot and enjoy it with your family.
Buy dry fruits with QB Discounts at your doorstep with free delivery.