Almonds are known for their numerous health benefits, including cough, respiratory disorders, anaemia, constipation and diabetes. Apart from them, it can also help with hair, dental and skin (psoriasis) care. Almonds are available in two varieties both bitter and sweet. Normally, the sweeter almonds are considered edible whereas the bitter ones are used for making almond oil that is used for adding flavour to the food.
Almonds also have great medicinal value. They are considered to be good for both heart and the brain and are proven to be effective for regulating both blood pressure and cholesterol levels. One can also avoid the risk of Alzheimer by consuming almonds. Like every other good food even almond has got its own cons. They are rich in oxalates which if consumed in excess can cause crystallization. So people suffering from gallbladder and kidney problems should avoid eating it in greater amounts. One must also keep in mind that almonds contain a lot of fats and calories. In order to avoid excessive weight gain they should be consumed in moderate quantities.
In India, we love to gorge on hot and fried foods in this cold weather especially pakodas, so what if we can add a healthy touch to it and have badam pakoda, the recipe for the same is given below:
Preparation time: 30-45 minutes
- Badam (almonds) – 1 cup
- Rice Flour – 4tsp
- Gram Flour – 4tsp
- Onion finely chopped – 4tsp
- Coriander leaves finely chopped – 4tsp
- Bread slices – 4
- Salt, chat masala, Black pepper powder, Chilli powder, Black salt as per taste
- Oil for frying
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1. Soak the almonds in water for about 3-4 hours.
- 2. Remove their skin and grate them in a cheese grater.
- 3. Remove the sides of the bread and crush the remaining slice.
- Mix the flour, almonds, and salts to make dough, sprinkle water as and when required.
- When you take the dough in your hand, it should be easily mouldable into an elongated/round shape.
- When you obtain the desired shape, deep fry them in oil at a required temperature and serve it hot with sauce/chutney.
Enjoy these delicious pakodas steaming hot with a warm cup of tea, chatting with your near and dear ones.